Saturday, October 13, 2012

Meeting Your Better Half

I get a lot of co-authoring questions.  You know . . .  Do we argue over plot, or revisions, or character names? (Never, really never!)  Do we have a co-authoring agreement. (Absolutely, that was the first thing we did) Does one of you write and one of you revise? (Nope, total 50-50 relationship here Works better than my marriage on some days. Just kidding. Sort of.)  Do you need to have the same agent?  (Nope, and in fact, we do not have the same agent)  I never mind answering these questions as they are all things you should consider before jumping onto that moving train.  There is one that is more difficult to answer . . . How did you two meet? 

Technically, we haven't.  

~We have completed two manuscripts and are currently hacking up a third.

~We have written, revised, re-revised, and queried together.

~We've commiserated when query rejections came in and celebrated when we finally got "the call."

~We've been on submission together (shh . .  we actually just went out with a YA Horror so send all good thoughts this way) and pondered way to many what-if's.

None of that is special or even remotely interesting.  Co-authors aren't an anomaly and many of them have found success.  What makes us a little different is that we've never met.

~We have no shared history.

~We didn't go to college together.

~We have no family relations.

~We don't even have the same friends. (writing community excluded of course!)

~We have different agents

~We live 1000 miles apart from each other

~And work on separate projects in addition to co-authoring. 

Unlike a lot of authoring pairs, we don't have the luxury of meeting at Starbucks to hash out a plot or celebrate with a glass of wine in my kitchen when we pass a major milestone.  Nope, we just have the phone, email, and skype. 

Well, I think it's about time that changed.  So two days ago I bought tickets to go to Chicago.  In ten days, Lindsay and I are going to do all those things that other co-authors do.  We are going argue of what flavor latte to buy, spill wine on her kitchen counter, and actually sit side by side as we hash out edits to our next WIP.

Am I nervous?  Hell yes!  My biggest concern is that I won't recognize her.  That I will walk up to some random brunette in Starbucks and start talking about our rather twisted fictional characters only to have that person deem me crazy on the spot.  Then again, that would make for one funny and humiliating blog post!  So wish me luck, and Lindsay, please wear something easily identifiable.


17 comments:

  1. How exciting! Have a wonderful time in Chicago. Take a pic or two and spread the love in a blog post so we can all share. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ... I think Lindsay has plans for a photo blog.

      Delete
    2. Lindsay has plans for a photo blog so there will be pictures galore.

      Delete
  2. Photos! We want photos! :) Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be plenty of photos, don't you worry!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you two will hit it off! And I can't wait to read the YA Horror (what a great idea!) in paperback. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next stop for me is Canada so watch out Nathalie!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic. have a wonderful time, and tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh don't worry, you're going to recognize me. Short, brunette, plain and probably screaming at the top of her lungs because I've already seen you first ! Can. Not. Wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not envisioning plain. Brunette and short I got, but plain somehow just doesn't fit you.

      Delete
  6. Woot! I am so excited for the two of you, and can't wait to here all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. You are next on my list. We even live relatively close to each other -- New York and Massachusetts. What is that like a four hour drive tops? We so need to meet in the middle.

      Delete
  7. You guys must be excited, i know i would be! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excited doesn't even begin to cover what I am feeling. Can't wait to actually put a face to the voice on the other end of the phone.

      Delete
  8. That sounds exciting! I hope it goes well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. submit yor site or posts to www.indiawins.com to get good traffic and dofollow back link.

    ReplyDelete